Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Gardening with Garlic


 This week we had our first forecast for freezing weather. When I learned that I knew I had to get my garlic bulbs in the ground before I lost my chance. Garlic, like most plants grown from bulbs, can be set in the fall and harvested in the spring and summer.

Most people are familiar with fresh garlic, but if you're not I suggest grabbing some fresh from the grocery store or market. I know a lot of people use powdered, granulated, and minced garlic for cooking, but when it comes to using garlic as a medicinal, you absolutely have to go for the organic, fresh, whole heads of garlic.

And when it comes to planting, all you have to do is put those fresh organic cloves right back in the ground!

I recommend the following video for getting the technique down (so easy).



The video basically listed the following simple directions:
1. Just pull the head apart and save the biggest cloves for planting.

2. Place them in the soil, about an inch under the surface, roots down. Give them some room. Four to six inches in radius should be sufficient.

3.  After all of the cloves are in the ground, nice and nestled, cover your bed with mulch. Dried leaves are perfect.

Look for flat-bladed sprouts in late winter!

Happy planting, folks!

Look forward to the medicinal uses of Allium sativum published to the Nu Era Blog. And remember to "like" our facebook page for timelier updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment